Flamenco Borealis Academy
Flamenco Borealis believes that giving back to the community is an integral part of sharing the love of the art form. The Academy is the educational leg of the company and it offers regular flamenco dance classes. Dance classes are instructed by the company's artistic director Lina Kazan (Bio); Other dance, percussion and music workshops are offered throughout the year. Our studios are located at the Saskatoon School of Dance (SSD) at 407 Cumberland South, Saskatoon. Registration is now open for the fall term (September to December 2020)
Covid 19 Protocols
Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic, we are taking special measures in partnership with SSD studio management to ensure your return to our classes is as safe as possible, and following the SK government guidelines and re-opening plan.
What we are doing;
- Class sizes are maximized to 9 students ensuring proper spacing is maintained in the studio.
- Lobbies will be closed. Instructor or greeter will meet each student at the rear Special Olympics single door and guide them to their respective studio. Exit from the studio will be from the main double doors on Cumberland.
- Instructor will wear a mask for when the dancers are entering and exiting the dance studio.
- The studio will have 6-foot squares taped out on the floor. Dancers will stay in their 6-foot square for any center floor work we do in class. We may use the ballet barres (distancing 6 feet apart) and we will dance across the room while maintaining social distancing. No contact, no props.
- For kids classes, if a student comes to class and is exhibiting symptoms of illness that are concerning, the teacher will ask the student to wear a mask (or a disposable one will be provided) and the student will be taken to a more safe and secluded section of the dance studio while they wait for their parent to pick them up. The parent will be contacted.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be set up around the building. Upon entering the building each dancer will be asked to use hand sanitizer.
- The microwave and water sink are unavailable for student use at this time.
- Our washrooms will be cleaned often.
What we need you to do;
- Watch for any symptoms of illness. Symptoms such as fever, fatigue, shortness of breath, cough and any other symptoms should be disclosed and the student must refrain from attending the class as long as symptoms persist.
- If the student or someone in her/his immediate family has been exposed to someone with Covid-19 please self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days and refrain from attending class.
- Don't arrive too early to the class as the greeter will only be able to open the back door for you 1 to 2 min prior to class time. This is implemented in an effort to minimize circulation during class transitions.
- Please come in a mask and dressed in your dance clothes underneath your street clothes. You may use change rooms to hang your winter coats but not to change. In winter you will have to carry boots and place on provided boot racks.
- We encourage dancers to wear a mask when entering and exiting the building. Dancers can choose to remove their mask when the dance class begins. If dancers choose to keep the masks on while dancing, please have an athletic grade mask to ensure you can safely breath and dance while mask is on.
- Bring your own water bottle from home.
- Help in minimizing the use of washroom as much as possible by going to the bathroom at home before coming to class.
Government of Saskatchewan Guidelines and Resources: